Monday, April 15, 2013

Don't Forget They are Still Kids

Children are constantly looking for affirmation.  I always forget.  I always forget it matters.  Sure I look to see if anyone commented on my posted photo or status on Facebook, but it doesn't really matter to me.  My life will go on, and I will feel just fine about myself.  For children, they don't have 'adult' matters occupying their minds.  They simply want to know--did you see my photo?  did you like it?

Common Sense Media reminds me with this article, My Kid Wants to be 'Liked on Facebook, how important it is to have these conversations with our children.  How to find affirmation from the concrete events in our lives that make us feel important.  We, as parents, should also remember to notice their accomplishments--no matter how small, and model for them a no obsessive attitude with our social networking connections.