Friday, March 22, 2013

What parents need to know (and model)...

My son's 9th birthday party was this past Tuesday, and my parents were at the house before we arrived home from school (because that's what grandparents do--it should also be noted that they were at the hospital 9 years ago BEFORE we were).  Well immediately upon arriving, my son goes to get on his Minecraft game, which I've permitted on days we don't have any other after school activities like piano, soccer, Tang Soo Do.

"No son, you need to use your eyes and go be with mama and papa.  They are here for you," I said calmly; even though I was burning anger inside that he didn't instinctively know better.

An hour into our birthday celebration, I started hearing the 'ding'  'ding' of a phone chiming from a received text.  I look at my phone, because my brother had yet to arrive. He was stuck in traffic.  It was not my phone.  My husband looks at his phone, because he left work a little early to join us. It was not his phone.  So then I look at my 12-year old's phone...

"Sweetie, we are visiting with family.  It is proper etiquette to either tell your friend you cannot talk now, or at least turn your phone to vibrate.  Your little cousins would like your attention."

Again,  I was a little peeved that this knowledge of etiquette was not instinct.  After all, we have taught our children to use their eyes to say thank you for a visit at a friend's house, or when someone gives them a gift.  Do I do this?  Do I stay engrossed in my device at home?  I feel I purposefully shut down at the end of the day.  Sometimes I even give myself a moment in the car before going inside to pick them up to finish any immediate needs--that simply can't wait until the next day.  But is there such a thing?  Everything can wait, right? There will be another day to get work done, schedule time to finish that lesson, take a run, or help a colleague.

Inspired by the article from CommonSenseMedia.org:
http://www.commonsensemedia.org/advice-for-parents/rules-road-parents-digital-age